Saturday, July 4, 2009

Colorado - Ees for fun!!

So Dr Hineman went on vacation for 2 weeks in May and to save myself from boredom I took the last week off and decided to go visit Sarah Londberg in Grand Junction, CO. She was the girl I went to Ethiopia with and my Opera going buddy. We started the week off by going camping at Buckeye Lake. And I promise that the name is a total coincidence. It was fate. This was true camping, us and the lake and the fish. We did run into the lake manager the 2nd day we were there and so he made us pancake, bacon and eggs for breakfast. The rest of the time we ate what we caught. It was so beautiful!! Here is my first fish I have ever caught. I named him Trouty One. I was a bit freaked out, I didn't know they were so slimy!!
Here is the fruits of our spoils. I even learned how to gut my own fish!! Then we just wrapped them in tin foil, threw them in, and flavored with some lemon after. So good!!


Remember how I have lived in Phoenix for 18 months now? Yeah, I used to not be able to handle the cold but now I'm really a wimp when it comes to the cold. This is my camping Star Wars style trying to keep warm.

Sarah trying not to go crazy with the Granddaddy fish that decided to make a game out of teasing us. Sarah hooked him 5 times and every time he got up and we both swear he swam right up to the shore, popped his head out and stuck his tongue out at her. He was really good at also getting the bait off of her hook. We were determined, but unfortunately granddaddy fish was conqueror in the end.

Me being so grateful for our Captain America Powerbait. And a bit cold since I just went for a swim in the lake. I needed a bath!!

So after camping for three days people started coming up for Memorial Day and so Sarah and I booked it down the mountain, not wanting to be caught in the madness that was becoming the lake.
We found our way to Sarah's Aunts house where we were going to take her three horses for a ride down some of the trails and just enjoy the beautiful Colorado country side. Unfortunately the horses had something else in mind. Her aunt, who has been riding horses since she was 11, was thrown off of the horse Jack and ended up breaking her finger. Then Sarah got up on Diablo who slammed her into a fence, badly bruising her leg, and then fell on his side, kicking her off. Jack wouldn't let anyone touch him and her aunt finally calmed Diablo down. So we settle for running around the arena down the road. It took some coaxing to convince Sarah to get up on my horse Santana, who was gentle and so responsive. This is me and Santana after going for a few laps around the area at a pretty fast pace. So fun!!

So for the rest of memorial day weekend Sarah and I went antique shopping and went to second hand book stores, where I bought 16 books that I'm now currently working on. Sarah also wanted to take me dancing, so we ended up at a country dance place, and were a bit more dressed up then everyone else. But one 60 year old man kept asking me to dance, and it was fun to bust out my country dance moves from my class I took at BYU. Needless to say it was an interesting experience. I'd never had so many guys pay so much attention to me as they all kept offering to buy me a drink. I'm sure you can imagine the looks on their faces when I told them I didn't drink and went back on the dance floor to teach Sarah some awesome dance moves.


It was such a nice relaxing week. Sarah is such a great friend and I'm so grateful for her!!

No comments:

Post a Comment