Wednesday, July 18, 2007

At last

http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u111/abeayant/ Here is the link to pictures, they still have not been updated, but it is something. :)

So I know quite a few of you have been insisting that I tell my story. I'm not going to lie, it has been hard for me and I'm finally falling back into the swing of things here in the good old US of A. I made it sound like Ethiopia was so hard, and it was, but it was an amazing blessing and I'm considering going back sometime, hopefully before my VISA runs out in the next two years. I know that once I get my Physician Assistant degree I'd like to go back now that I have a better idea of what is needed and can perhaps do what I can to improve the horrible conditions in the hospitals and clinics, at least teaching the importance of cleanliness and sterile techniques. There are so many great lessons I learned while there to help make me stronger and give me a greater perspective in life. Most of all I learned that the little things in life don't matter, what truly matters is that I am doing what my Savior wants me to do and following the path He has set out for me. The day-to-day things get in the way too often and hinder our work and take our eyes of the ultimate goal, and that is eternal life. I learned the importance of gratitude and what we have, we have opportunity, and education, and transportation, and electricity, flushing toilets, and running water, clothes...so much!! Most of all we have a chance for good treatment and medical care. They have no choice but to go to those horrible places and most spend their entire months earnings on one malaria shot.
So what really happened. Sarah and I had been communicating with Salt Lake about a few things we saw, like no work getting done, and them sitting around and doing nothing. Or the missing supplies that had been donated and things they had been using for personal gain. Or even some discrepancies we found in financial endeavors. So on Friday we had a meeting with Nigatu where he asked for a day-to-day report of what they had accomplished the past week. Dejene, realizing that they had been caught, walked out and quit. Things got really sticky, but Sarah and I went to our new house Nigatu had found for us and packed up to leave for Addis early in the morning. Jennelle from Village of Hope came with us since there was room due to the fact that the day before they had found something wrong with the truck and needed to take it to Addis for repairs. On the way up we saw that someone had damaged the training center property and broken the cinder block fence....we all have no doubt that it was Dejene. So Nigatu stayed behind and we continued to Addis for the soccer game. We met the three boy interns in Debre Ziet and went to lunch and on the way to the soccer game Nigatu called. Meiso had refused to call the police and investigate the vandalism and had said he was also resigning.

Sarah and I had some decisions to make and after meeting with Nigatu Monday morning, we decided for our safety and his it was best to cancel the expedition the next week and for us to go home as soon as possible since threats had been made on our lives. Sarah and I were then sent to stay with the boys on their compound until things were further settled. Talking with Salt Lake proved frustrating as they refused to send us home and ignored all our arguments and pleadings. They were insistent that we stay in country, but remain with the boys or be moving permanently to the Addis office. Due to circumstances, Sarah was the one elected to go back to Arsi to fetch our things, and passports, etc. with Jenelle, Nigatu, the driver Tagay, and the accountant with her. She ran into trouble and our dear guard Gemedo turned on us and she barely got away and had to remain hidden at the Village of Hope while Nigatu attempted to do damage control as the community workers were breaking in homes and destroying the projects we had worked so hard to build. I was stuck on the boys compound with no money, no clothes, or anything, and had to just sit and wait for Sarah to contact me, and continue to attempt contacting Salt Lake about our removal. They still ignored me. On Thursday morning Sarah returned and had told me about the attack and even Wondu came to find her because there had been men looking for the "Americans" who intended to do us harm. Everyone blamed us for what happened. So Sarah and I called and switched our flights ourselves, figuring that if we could at least get to DC, we'd pay for the difference, it wasn't worth our lives, and we didn't know how much longer we'd be safe in Debre Ziet. We prepared to sneak out and didn't want any of the staff to know so they could not get in trouble. Right before we left we got an email from Sallee saying they'd switched our flights, and we believe it was because they had been informed that our flights had been changed and finally realized that we were leaving, and needed to save their own tales and agree to get us out. So Sarah and I took a bus up to Addis the next morning, did a bit of shopping for souvenirs and then left that night at 11pm. I have never been so relieved to take off in an airplane before.

So there you have it, the quick and easy version of the story. I am grateful to Nigatu and the boys and Kidane for protecting us and putting their own jobs on the line. The expedition went on, despite our pleas, but it was relocated and the schedule changed and it ended up going well. I miss the people and I miss the opportunity, but I know I can do so much more once I further my education. Now I'm in transition moving from Iowa to Kansas city, Kansas, and looking for a job. If you know of anyone that is in the medical field in that area I'd love to pass along my resume. I know the Lord sent me to Ethiopia for a reason and I am eternally grateful for the opportunity I had while there.

No comments:

Post a Comment