So I am sure many of you heard on the news about Hurricane Irene hitting the east coast. Well Dustin and I had made plans this past weekend to go stay at a Bed and Breakfast on the Chesapeake for our "Babymoon". Unfortunately due to the hurricane we were unable to go, so we packed our bags and decided to re-live a portion of our dating life of staying at my parents house during horrible weather. So we were able to play games and eat well (I made BBQ ribs) and spend time with family as the rain came down and the wind howled outside. We woke up Sunday morning to canceled church and were told to turn it into day of service to help clean up. The damage wasn't horrible, but we were extremely lucky. A tree fell in my parents backyard that barely missed another tree, a fence or the house. It fell in the perfect spot to cause the least amount of damage possible. So we spent the day cleaning up the church and all that fell down there and the backyard. The tree did hit our picnic table and another one of Grandma's tables. I wasn't allowed to join in the fun part of chopping and sawing and hauling, but was given the task of picking up all the small branches and sticks. I must admit that there was a lot of these around so it kept me busy. Here are pictures of our yard after the hurricane.
A few days before we also had an Earthquake in the DC area/east coast. I was at work in the ER when I felt a vibration that felt like a helicopter landing on the heli pad outside the doors. But it was obvious that there was much more going on when the floor and the walls started shaking. We were undamaged but I must admit my first thought was "how do I best protect my baby?" Also lucky about no injuries, just a lot of anxiety.
Dustin had a similar experience and they evacuated his building while the checked to make sure it was stable for them to return. It has been interesting since I am still finding things that are a result of the earthquake. Like opening up my spices cabinet and things falling out, or in my closet or medicine cabinet, etc. You can tell things got a bit "shaken up" but we're grateful that with both "natural disasters" we were pretty unscathed! The Lord sure watches out for us!
Great pictures! So glad you were safe!
ReplyDelete