Today was an interesting day. We went to a school that Ascend hepled to rebuild to check in the progress. It was wonderful and reminded me why I am here. I also played soccer with the kids in the school yard and I think it was good for them so see that we are people. This morning we also went running with Wandu and he kicked my trash but is going to whip me into shape. He does calisthetics and different exercises while he runs.
The biggest lesson I learned today sit he skewed perception I had and Americans have about "saving Africa". After what people have done to come in and send medicine and just some immunizations, things that I see now are not at all practical, everyone here expects handouts and they try to be your friend because they know you can give them stuff. Everywhere we go there are people staring bluntly...like every single person in the market place was looking at us and then the kids follow us and just say over and over "money money money". They have been given too many handouts by "Farengiis" or white people (that is what they all call us). It was just such a difference walking this afternoon then from working with Dejene and Meiso in the office and going to the school. Sarah (the other inten and I) took Dejene and Meiso to lunch and I had my frist real Ethiopian food experience. Then they had coffee while I drank this really good milk (hot milk with seasonings) they ordered for me and had a really good talk. It really is just night and day here. All these perceptions I had are totally different then I thought actually being here. Dejene talked about how education really and truly is the best thing and how it helps them help themselves and also effects their posterity. I can't emphasize how critical education is. I could go on forever about the things I've seen just in two days and I know I have so much more to learn. I'm just impressed by the guys in the office and the things they have done to bring themselves up and what they have done with their life. They live a good life and are successful in their eyes. But stupid Americans have come in convinced so many that they need more and they have to change when really their quality of life suits them and they are happy. They got an education, have a good job, a house, and are well fed. What more could they want?
Nicki,
ReplyDeleteSo glad to hear what is happening! This sounds so great! We love you!
Aunt Linda :)
Dear Nicki,
ReplyDeleteI'm so excited to read your blog and get your perspective. You probably don't even remember me but I was your Primary teacher when you were a Merrie Miss. It's hard to believe that you're now 23 and quite an amazing young lady. I wish you all the very best.
Sincerely, Katrina (Walker)Sommers