Thursday, May 24, 2007

Nicki the Freak Show!

So I finally made french toast and Banana bread yesterday and it was so good!! Today has been a pretty normal day. I spent yet another day in the store room trying to go through all the old medicne and random things left behind by old expeditions. We are having a medical expedition in June and in order to try and stop another occurance of then bringing tons of old broad spectrum anti-biotics that are ineffective here and leaving them in the storage room to expire, we're doing an inventory and then what the next expedition doesn't use we'll donatae to local pharmacy's. We even went to a clinic today and met the husband of the nurse who owns the clinic. Then we also made more mango salsa...it was so good today!!

Ok so I really am not kidding when I say I feel like a freak show here sometimes. You stand around talking and the next thing you know 30 people are standing around staring at you. Or you go to a restaurant and they just sit and blatently stare at you. We even started going to this one cafe who when we get there plays the same three backstreet boys songs. I think it is the only American CD they own. Or yesterday these two guys probably in their late 20s, early 30s, just showed up at the office wanted to take us out for a soda or something. I even went to get bananas for the bread and everyone started laughing when I walked in. My favorite today is that while we were sitting down for a sandwich these guys came up and took pictures of Sarah and I on his camera phone. So if you see random pictures posted on the internet with me about midnight tonight....you know why!! I even have not only a fan club of males following us, but when I went running this morning, I started a running club too. I wouldn't be surprised if they showed up outside my house at 6am tomorrow. I learned a new trick that some old interns apparently suggested. If you turn around to the crowd of 20 kids following you and start teaching them astrophysics or I teach them some complex chemistry concept, they tend to disperse.

I do have to little boys that I hang out with and are my buddies. I met them at a friend we have named Shikito's house when we went there for dinner. They are her nephews. And for the life of me I can't say their names. :) But they are 10 and 7 and I love them!! They remind me of why I'm here. Ok, there are lots of things that remind me why I'm here, they are just a bonus.

1 comment:

  1. Nicki,
    I just found your blog link via Ashley's blog--I LOVE IT! So many updates--If I were still at the Health Center, I'd be kept busy all day long reading your blog over and over to soak it up! :) Continue having all these great experiences in Ethiopia!
    Love,
    Janelle

    ReplyDelete