Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Camping Trip

Jessica and Carter are moving soon to Utah and so as a little thing to do with them before they leave, we went camping! It was fabulous. I'm afraid to tell you all where we went because you might want to take our super secret spot!! Ok, it isn't super secret but it sure was pretty! We camped at one of the sites along the C&O canal. They have sites every 4-5 miles or so, so that you can stop and camp while you are biking. VERY cool. There was a table, and two fire pits, a latrine and a water pumped etc. So for a free night camping right on the potomac and pretty much being completely by ourselves....it was amazing! We did have to hike 0.3 miles in from where we parked our car, but no biggy. That is if you don't have a baby to bring with you....or a dutch oven....or a massive tent....but we made it! Pack and play, and stroller, and diaper bag and all!!
And I know I say this a lot, but once again Conner was a champ!! He sure loved it. But at the end was very much ready to go since he was tired and having a hard time taking a nap in broad daylight where he could hear all of us laughing and such outside the tent. What can I say...he loves people!!
He especially LOVES women. He is a flirt!! Even with Aunt Jessica. She is one of his favorite people. Can't you tell??

This is the view of the river from our camp site.
Dustin being the most dutiful and wonderful husband and setting up our air mattress for us :) I love how I gave Dustin this for his birthday....best gift he ever got.
Conner just chilling in his pack and play while we set up camp and get a fire going for our amazing tin foil dinners. Things we learned....we had a very hot fire...so double wrapped dinners cooked best. And the keilbasa sausage was not good in the dinners either. But sausage worked amazing!! Carter is becoming quite the cook over the fire.


Our fire
Carter getting some water from the pump.

It got COLD that night. I mean not super cold. We were able to be just fine with our sweatshirts and by the fire, but I have to admit I was super paranoid about Conner being too cold. I mean they make you super paranoid about all that stuff and stories about babies and blankets, etc so what do they expect you to do when the baby is cold and they need to sleep? And they aren't supposed to sleep with you either....solution? Yes. We swaddled him in a blanket and then tucked him into his snow suit. Yes, his arms are not in the sleeves, he is all nice and cuddly tucked in there. He did super well and stayed warm the whole night, trust me I checked....a lot. But he only woke up twice. But he was sure ready to get up with the sun and not let anyone else miss out on any of the fun! Silly boy.

Here we are making breakfast, Dutch Oven style.
We forgot cooking utensils, so we moved the coals with sticks, and stirred with a regular spoon. Inventive I know!
See! Very talented.
I was still cold and Conner took a nap all snuggled with me while our food cooked.

Carter was tired....
Dustin liked playing with the briquettes.
Conner just kept sleeping......


What was left our of delicious meal. Eggs, sausage, potatoes and cheese. YUM! We call it the MAN Breakfast. Dump and stir.
And add ketchup.
OH yes, and orange juice.
So happy to be here.
Getting in a snuggle with dad too!!
And then magically it got HOT. So we threw the football around, played a few card games at the table, and then when Conner got really cranky...packed up and left. It was fabulous and we plan on doing it again really soon. Any takers??

3 comments:

  1. Love all the pictures on your "catch us up" blogs! I think Conner is adorable when he's sleeping...and when he's awake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want some of that MAN breakfast!

    ReplyDelete